Manufacturing operation management or MOM is a typical approach used to manage the aspects of the overall manufacturing process with the key focus on enhancing efficiency. MOM succeeds the MES (Manufacturing Execution System), which spreads focus from a sole facility to the whole supply network and manages a collection of aspects related to the manufacturing process: Work-in-Process, production capacity evaluation, lead times and inventory management.
HOW EXACTLY MOM BRINGS A DIFFERENCE IN MEDICAL DEVICE MANUFACTURING?
Medical device manufacturing isn’t a cake walk; a single mistake on the floor can lead to ominous consequences. Typically, medical device manufacturers are involved in making products related to health and life, hence a minor quality flaw can be detrimental to someone’s life. This is one of the key reasons why the medical device manufacturing industry is highly regulated and sensitive, and this is the reason manufacturers operating in this industry tend to comply with FDA requirements.
In an attempt to achieve a high level of consistency and coordination all through the value chain, the manufacturers should highly focus on unifying the value chains with the digital strategy. Here MOM comes into the picture and helps the manufacturers to ensure quality, compliant products are being delivered to the marketplace.
MANUFACTURING OPERATION MANAGEMENT— THE SAVIOR FOR MEDICAL DEVICE MANUFACTURERS
More often, medical device manufacturers confront an army of challenges such as costs, constraints, and compliance needs. The key to turning out to be competitive in this volatile environment is—the competence to make quality as a basis for each and every manufacturing process: starting from sourcing to procurement, production as well as service process.
Adapting MOM systems bring a myriad of benefits for medical devices manufacturers, the following are some of the key reasons that make its adaption lucrative for manufacturers.
HELPS MANUFACTURERS STAY HIGHLY COMPETITIVE
- Realizing the enterprise-wide quality and compliance management on a persistent basis makes the medical device manufacturer highly competitive and efficient.
- Attaining complete FDA compliance is the top priority in the medical device sector, the enterprise-grade MOM strategies possess the ability to obtain and report the Electronic Device History Records (eDHR ) data: purchase order data of suppliers, material bills, serial numbers, lot numbers, test and inspection results, electronic signatures, record corrections, non-conformances and tools utilized during assembly- everything in one system.
- Using an integrated and streamlined approach across the entire product lifecycle and value chain ensures the FDA regulations are fulfilled.
- Making product launches a revenue creation event upgrades the competitive setting of their sectors.
- With an instant urge to remain competitive and appropriate to their customer base, the medical devices manufacturers should introduce products to sell faster than their competitors.
- The MOM strategies that substantiate integrations to Product Lifecycle Management systems enable engineering design odifications to easily reach the production, making sure the product is devised according to the specifications, without any delays. Such a kind of collaboration between the various systems helps the enterprises in maintaining high productivity levels, compliance, and quality when introducing new products to market and also handling New Product Introductions (NPIs).
REAL-TIME VISIBILITY ACROSS THE VALUE CHAIN
- MOM enables real-time visibility and control to the manufactures which result in better product quality, less product recalls and this better customer satisfaction.
- The success and efficiency of manufacturing depend on making better utilization of production time. With an integrated approach to MOM across the production, the manufacturers can develop and use more intended manufacturing intellect and analytics.
- This innovative visibility across the manufacturing process results in ceaseless operating efficiency and quality improvements, where the errors are very less and the production productivity is high.
PERSISTENTLY ENHANCING SUPPLY CHAIN PERFORMANCE AND VISIBILITY
- Performance and quality of the business processes can impact the revenue and customer satisfaction directly.
- As the medical device manufacturers compete in highly controlled markets, supply chains are life force for them— acts as a critical success factor for their current and future development. Advanced MOM strategies impart the manufacturers, the power to outline, quality, evaluate, non-conformances and numerous other factors. Hence the manufacturers can carefully synchronize the production processes with the suppliers in order to achieve higher efficiency.
- Maintaining a collaborative plan of quality management and compliance management fuels the processes, cuts down on errors and enhance the time-to-market, generating more sales and achieving customer satisfaction.
PROVIDING A DIGITAL-TOUCH TO MANUFACTURING
- Though we all knew about Digitalization, yet fewer manufacturers are putting it to use across their value chains. Perhaps, because feeding and integrating digital communications between the engineering and the execution is not as easy, as it sounds.
- The MOM strategies carry equal importance as that of ERP and PLM strategies, and for a medical device manufacturer to start recognizing the capabilities of going digital, these varied systems need to synchronize perfectly together.
- Eliminating paper from the production floor unlocks the key for high efficiency and productivity. Digital instructions backed by a sound MOM strategy help technicians with precise and informed guidelines which enhances quality, that implies products are made perfectly accurate, the first time itself: good news for the manufacturers.
It’s high time that medical device manufacturers should embrace Manufacturing operation management to stay ahead of the competition and make their presence loud in the market.
Hope you have enjoyed reading this write-up. Please share your thoughts in the comments section. If you are planning to go ‘Digital’ with your manufacturing and production, check out our flagship product “Wynum”— an AI-powered product built to address the operational inefficiencies involved in production processes. The product is backed with state-of-the-art technologies to meet the very requirement of different industries, especially the medical devices manufacturing industry. You will never regret your decision of opting Wynum. To request a demo, click here.